Exeter International Airport (EXT)
History, Facts and Overview
Although a suitable site was found for Exeter Airport in 1932, it was not until some five years later that the fully licensed aerodrome was actually opened for use, with little more than a tent for its terminal. Located on the very outskirts of Exeter, the airport was soon used by flying clubs all over the country. The outbreak of war in 1939 saw Exeter Airport become a strategic air force base for the UK, USA and Poland.
Post-war, it was not long until the airport was once again in operation and by the early 1950s, regular passenger flights linked Jersey in the Channel Islands, along with other prominent locations, such as Leeds. After a period of ownership by the Ministry of Defence, Exeter Airport was acquired by Devon County Council (DCC) in 1972. A new terminal building was opened in the 1980s, while runway extensions and an additional arrival building followed in 1998.
In 2007 and now known as Exeter International Airport (EXT), local government sold the airport to Regional and City Airports Exeter Ltd, who have already implemented many new routes and charter flights. The airport's innumerable modern facilities include a bureau de change, ATM machines, Wi-Fi Internet access throughout the building and Internet kiosks. There is a wide range of eateries within the Food Village area, as well as some great duty-free outlets at the onsite Alpha Airport Shopping centre.
The airport has a conference room with a 40-person capacity, which is available for booking and can be fitted out with the latest multimedia equipment. Additionally, there are many hotels in the surrounding region that can cater to conferences and business meeting needs, in particular the Exeter Thistle Hotel and the Salston Manor Hotel.